Thursday, September 22, 2005

100 Minute Bible

I came across an article tonight at news.telegraph.co.uk that floored me! I've always thought of the Bible as having the Old and New Testaments, consisting of 66 books-from Genesis to Revelation, with Psalms and Proverbs.

I've lived a long time, and seen many different translations of the Word, some I like, and some I don't. But, this one makes me wonder! The Rev. Michael Hinton wrote the 100 Minute Bible for people 'on the go', or 'slow readers', and can be read in about 2 hours. Genesis to Exodus survived, but the genealogy and law books are gone. And, only two of the Psalms survived - hard to believe you can take one of the beautiful books in the Bible and condense it to two psalms!

The four gospels have been written as one, in contemporary language.

The Bishop of Jarrow, the Rt Rev John Pritchard, who acted as a consultant and wrote the introduction, added: "I don't think most people know the Bible very well.

"This is an attempt to say, 'Look, there's a great story here - let's get into it and let's not get put off by the things that are going to be the sub-plot. Let's give you the big plot'."

I'm having a hard time with this, considering those words were delivered by the prophets, who got the Word from God.


2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

That scripture speaks volumes. ALL means ALL - not just what we want people to know. Every Word was given for a reason. If God didn't want us to learn it, then it wouldn't have been in there. I admit that the genealogy is hard, and it makes for very tedious reading. But, it was there for a purpose. It flows from the first Adam - fallen man, to the second Adam - Risen Christ! And, when you detract from that, much is lost.

|Technorati| , , ,

7 Comments:

Carol said...

We live in a society that gets impatient with the microwave. Fast food drive-throughs take too long. Everything we experience, including Sunday morning sermons, comes to us in sound bites. An abbreviated Bible consisting of an abbreviated gospel is a symptom of an an abbreviated desire to know God more.

Love your blog, BTW, and plan to visit often. I'll try to abbreviate my rants.

Barbara said...

Rant on, Carol. :) I love your post! I hadn't thought about it being an 'abbreviated Bible', but that's exactly what it is. I wonder what God thinks of the humans way of maying HIS GOSPEL more accessible to those that don't 'have time' (really do not TAKE time) to read the Bible? Do you think He might have an 'abbreviated heaven' for those that can't take time to get into the whole Bible and learn ALL the Word?

Carol said...

An abbreviated heaven!! Don't send me there, girl. I've been waiting too long for the full package!

I'm all cracked up over here. Thanks for the chuckle.

Barbara said...

Carol, you know that was a joke. :) But, I thought, for those people that 'take away the WORD', or cut it down for others, there might just be a place for them - in their own little world. :)

Well, I'm with you. I want the full Bible AND full heaven!

Barbara said...

I believe, when a person really has his heart in the right place, and he's serious with God, the Holy Spirit will enlighten him to the Word. He'll want to read it - not just a short, 'appealing' book that doesn't have the full story.

As Carol has said, we do live in a world that even the fast things are too slow for some. Therefore, they will read the 100 minute Bible and think they've read it all. Nothing will replace God's TRUE Word.

Vicki said...

I think those who won't even start or are intimidated by the full bible because they might feel they won't finish, this may give them a start. This 100-minute bible may give them a start, might engage them engage them enough to want to go find the whole story, thus, the 100-minute bible has accomplished the capturing of a soul. Whatever will get someone started is a good thing I say If you know and love the 'Word' you will want everyone to know and love the 'Word' and whatever it take to get them to it, to start it. God the Father draws, and His ways are not your ways, Let those who will be drawn, be drawn by whatever way God wills.

Barbara said...

Vicki, you might have a good point. If we can get them a little bit interested by introducing part of the Bible, then perhaps they will want to go on and investigate the rest of it.