Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Today's Best Question

I just received an email from a friend who had the following question posed:

How old would you be, if you didn't know how old you were?"

I didn't put too much thought into the question, since I do know how old I am. My body tells me all the time, as do my eyes, when they look into the mirror. But, my mind sometimes thinks I'm a young woman, meeting my husband for the first time. When I look at a little newborn baby, I think of the great times I had with my children, when they were little. I long for the days of no pain (don't believe them, when they say 'no pain,no gain') in the extremities, and not having to take a nap because the night sleep didn't do you justice.

But, would I return to those days? I don't think so. I'm thankful that God has let me live until now. I'm thankful that I have children who were a blessings, who are now raising grandchildren that are also blessings. My husband once said, had he known how wonderful grandchildren would be, he'd have married a grandmother first. I know what he means! They are joys to behold!

I rather not hurt in any part of my body. But, God let me live a long time without pain, and what I have, which is only minor at times, I can endure. It's nothing like the pain He endured, when He hung on the cross at Calvary. I don't think my pain is a 'thorn in the flesh' (2 Corinthians 12:7) as Paul's was said to have been, but I do believe His 'grace is sufficient' for my need. Pain, whether physical, mental, or spiritual, will bring along 'wrinkles', but it also builds character. What you do with your pain says a lot about you.

I thank God daily that I have come from where I was to where I am now - that I have lived a wonderful life, enjoyed a great family (home and church), and continue to be in health. And, without the hope HE put in my life, it wouldn't matter what age I was; I'd be like a sailboat on the ocean without a sail. I'd be drifting, with no place to go. In Him, I can say His Presence is with me always! Age doesn't matter.

Linked at TMH's Bacon Bits