Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Instapundit and Armadillos

The question was asked over at The Alliance, “Why does Evil Glenn hate armadillos so much?” Well, I have no idea, since I can’t read his mind, or know his heart. Perhaps they’ve uprooted his flower garden? Maybe they’ve made holes all through his lawn, and he’s turned his ankle? Gave his dog leprosy?

What I do know is this: Glenn said something that I didn’t know until I read the article. He said that armadillos carry leprosy. Well, knowing me, I have to check it out – no, I’m not from Missouri, the ‘show me state’ , but I want to know if something is right or wrong. So I checked out his information, and he is correct! Guess where the Nine-Banded Armadillo migrated from? MEXICO! And, can you believe Texas has adopted this armadillo as it’s official state mammal? Neither could I, but they have. Well, they have come across country to Alabama, but I have yet to see a ‘live’ one – most are killed in ‘road rage’, and left as ‘road kill’.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

4 Comments:

Nancy Reyes said...

It's not that armadillos carry (i.e. spread) leprosy. It's that when they were trying to investigate leprosy to see what drugs would work, they couldn't find any animals that could be infected with leprosy...one exception is
the lowly armadillo.
Here is another site discussing Hansen's disease:
NIH Webpage with links
So it's actually a compliment.

Barbara said...

I just read they are susceptible or sensitive to leprosy. Would they not be able to spread it,once they got it?

Carol said...

Every year about this time, we get a 'dillo (or two) come in from the woods and pastures to the south of my house that terrorizes the entire block. We've tried all sorts of traps, but to no avail. A couple years ago all the men on this side of the street banded together and purchased fire arms.

I heard a shot go off last night. I hope the armored terrorist that has been uprooting my beds got the roots shot out of him. Hrumph!

Barbara said...

That's hilarious, Carol! Better be careful. PETA will be knocking on your doors. :)