Monday, March 13, 2006

Jabez Descendants Sue For Royalties

I could not believe what I was reading, when I ran across this article at Larknews.com. How could the 'descendants' of a man in the Bible, from so many years ago, think they deserve royalties off of a book written by Bruce Wilkinson in 2000?

They contend his book has nothing to do with their Jabez of the Bible. And, they say all of the wisdom of Jabez was intended only for the descendants of Jabez, not for the world, and that's why they were kept secret. I have not come across anything about Jabez other than the two scriptures in which his name is mentioned, along with the prayer. ( I Chronicles 4:9-10 ) How could Wilkinson taken 'the secrets' (wisdom) of Jabez, if they aren't listed? I'm very puzzled that these people think they deserve anything. I suppose the answer is in the 'eye of the beholder'.

Wilkinson and publisher Multnomah claim that the prayer of Jabez has been in the public domain for thousands of years. The Jabez family lawsuit counters that it has been "in active continual use" the entire time and constitutes a "prized business asset."

The following statement really caught my attention:

"We added a line to our prayers," says Tomas Yabezki. "'God, expand our borders and shrink the borders of that thief Bruce Wilkinson.'"
Linked at Conservative Cat

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Steve Sensenig said...

Ummm, you do realize that larknews.com is a spoof/satire site, right? These are made-up stories. Or is the joke on me for not realizing you were posting these tongue-in-cheek?

steve :)

Barbara said...

Steve, I just thought this was a funny story. And, their 'prayer', had it been true, ("'God, expand our borders and shrink the borders of that thief Bruce Wilkinson.'"), was sort of hilarious.

People do get caught up in their wants/beliefs, and do pray things just like this, rather than forgiveness for person that they feel has done them wrong.