Saturday, July 30, 2005

Encourage Children To Read Early

My six year old grandson wanted to read to Daddy, so he chose Dr.Seuss's book, Green Eggs and Ham. My son stated it was his favorite book when he was young.

When both my children were young, I engaged them in reading. Both were great readers when they started Kindergarten. I chose easy books at first, like Dr. Seuss's A B C book, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish, another Dr. Seuss book. Then, I bought Stan and Jan Berenstain's books, such as Old Hat, New Hat, and Bears On Wheels. These were all followed by different books, including the collection of Disney books, which are great.

But the one book, to me, that really told a great learning story, was The Best Nest, by P. D. Eastman. It's all about Mr. and Mrs. Bird and their quest for the 'best nest'. After going through many trials, Mrs. Bird returned to the old house and decided it was the best nest to raise a baby bird.