Friday, November 28, 2008

Nothing like the Christmas Spirit

What does it take to get you into the Christmas spirit? After Thanksgiving, just start playing the Christmas songs, show a good Christmas movie on television, or let me stroll through the mall and see all the beautiful decorations. It never fails; I'm in the Christmas spirit.

It seems that, with every year that passes, receiving Christmas gifts is less on my mind. Instead, I always want to figure out what gift would please each of those on my Christmas list. It thrills me to be able to buy something that a kids wants and see his eyes light up when he opens the gift. It is so nice to hear, "YES", exclaiming the thrill the gift brought to that child.

I'm ready to put up my Christmas decorations this year. It has been many years since I put them up this early. I usually do that a week or two before Christmas. But I think I'll break that mold and start another one this year. I usually leave my decorations up later than most, considering I take them down when I feel like it. There is never any rush around here.

Actually, I think we need to be in the Christmas spirit all year long. We celebrate the birth of Christ on Christmas. But Christ is with us every day of our lives, living within us, if we are Christians and obey His Holy Word. With His spirit within us, we should be happy, joyful, loving, and most of all, thankful that God sent His Son to redeem us from our sins, and to give us the gift of eternal life with Him. This should have us in the Christmas spirit every day!

Technorati Tags: , ,

5 Comments:

Cathryn said...

Hi Barbara ~ I'm Cathryn in Kentucky. I saw your post at Deby's blog. I really like your blog. How true that as we get older the gifts just don't matter but rather the giving and taking some real effort to get what will bring joy to others. I'm going to look around some more ~ Lord Bless, Cathryn.

Barbara said...

Hi, Cathryn. Thanks for stopping by. Look around to your heart's content. I pray you enjoy what you find.

Cathy said...

Amen, Barb, a great post! Glad you're getting started early this year ~

Barbara said...

Cathy, I'm in the Christmas spirit, but I still haven't gotten my tree down from the attic and put up. I would really like to buy a larger one, but haven't made it to the store to look for one.

Maxine said...

I'm quickly getting there! We put our tree up Saturday and today my husband put up the outside decorations. I hope to wrap a few gifts tonight (I don't have many yet) and we looked at a couple of our Christmas movies already and some carols. So I guess we're getting there!