Saturday, July 12, 2008

A site for Homeschoolers

If you homeschool your children, you will enjoy this site: Driven To Educate. A family of four, along with their dog, have hit the road back in March of 2008. They put all their material goods from their home in storage, rented out their home to a nice couple to watch over it, and took to the road in their RV.

This is going to be a year long or longer American history tour for the family. Dan, Jennifer, Mason, and Griffin are experiencing what the young boys are studying in American History this year. Jennifer had been the sole bread winner for the family while her husband was educating his boys by homeschooling them. She began to have problems with her health and ended up having to retire. She often wondered what she would do if it was the end of her life. Here is what she said on her site:

So, what would I do if I had very little time left? It’s not easy to answer. What would you do?

I thought about it a lot, and what kept coming to mind was spend time with my family and see my children learn and experience new things. Remember that we homeschool our boys, which we consider a blessed privilege, and I am passionate about it. I love to see them learn. I love it when they really “get it”. In 2008 we were slated to start American History (we study history in chronological order). I began dreaming of traveling around the country, experiencing the things we were studying about together. A yearlong history tour. A family adventure – rafting where Louis and Clark canoed, riding in a covered wagon on the Oregon Trail, walking on Civil war battle grounds, racing dune buggies at Great Sand Dunes National Park (OK – some of it’s just for fun). Now that’s living! That was my answer to the question.

Just reading their experiences makes me wish I could tag along! They have taken to the road for educating the youngsters and enjoying the trip themselves. But they have not left the main thing at home, their faith. They have probably more than once realized that God is everywhere and the angels are indeed watching over them. Go read their posts and find out more about this family. You can also sign up for their newsletter on their site.

Linked at Conservative Cat

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Cindy Swanson said...

What a great idea! Like you, I wish I could tag along...looks like a wonderful experience.

Barbara said...

I'd just love to visit some of those places. It will be a once-in-a-lifetime trip for those kids. Hope they really enjoy it.