Saturday, March 08, 2008

We got snow

The weathermen kept preparing us for snow, or perhaps a dusting during the night. We never say they don't know what they are talking about, considering they have been right a few times. So, I really went to bed hoping we'd have a decent snow for the weekend.

Well, at 6:30, I woke up, looked out the window, and, sure enough, the ground was covered and the trees were white. But, that is about the extent of it. Right now, at 9:45, looking at our yard, you would never know we had snow if it wasn't still on the swing and up in the woods under the trees.

My husband put out bird seed this morning while he was out taking pictures of the snow. Seems the birds loved the snow! They were out in droves. We have had blue jays, robins, and wood peckers galore, along with a number of other species of birds. I looked out in the front yard awhile ago, and there were three northern yellow-shafted flickers and three blue jays pecking at the ground, probably eating the acorns from the trees. We usually don't see that many together around here.

This snow was nothing to compare with our snow storm of 1993. I had come home that day from Nashville where my husband had been transferred. I was coming to my granddaughter's third birthday party. My daughter was trying to discourage me because of the snow that was to come. We never have enough snow to paralyze us, so I came home anyway, even though I drove through a blizzard to within seven miles of our home. Within one hour, everything was white. The electricity went out around 7PM and came back on within 22 hours. But, I was snowed in at my house here for 6 days. Our state just is not prepared for a big snowstorm because it happens so rarely. They put sand on the main bridges around the towns, but never come out to these small side roads. Thank goodness, I had a way of keeping warm the first day and plenty of food to eat for the week ahead. It was quite an experience.

And, I might add - it also happened in March, in fact on Friday, March 12th. So, who knows; we might have a snow storm yet!

Linked at Conservative Cat

Technorati Tags: , ,

3 Comments:

Mimi said...

sorry you didn't get as much snow as you wanted...we don't get snow at all...
I also saw your yesterdays post... are you sure that they didn't just ship one of our servicemen up to you...they think that they can sit in the office downtown and tell us what we see here in our house...when we are the ones looking at it.....
good luck with your cable...

Barbara said...

About the serviceman, Mimi - they could have. We have DSL through our phone company. Some of them act like they know it all when they come out, and then leave you with a bad taste in your mouth like this last one. We've only had 2 that told us they'd cut us off if we called them again. Well, that is not so. Even the supervisor was nice to my husband and told him to watch his connections the next month and call customer service and let them know- while we are on lite. He said he'd get us back on the higher one, if this worked out for a month since Bill fixed it himself.

WomanHonorThyself said...

Enjoy the snow hun..make snow angels for me eh?..heh