Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Posting as Anonymous

Today, I read a blog entry where a person had posted anonymously to a mother's plea (with the permission of her daughter) to advise girls/women to get tested for the HPV virus which causes cervical cancer. Whatever the anonymous poster's intentions where, she committed a cardinal sin: she made a suggestion that the husband was having an affair, which is far from the truth.

When a comment is made anonymously, there is no way to get in touch with the person. It is unfair to the one to whom the comment is made to not be able to 'face' that person with the truth, personally. I've had people to come here to post anonymously. That is why my comments are now all moderated.

Too often, someone will make a comment without giving the feelings of the other person a thought. And, it is easy in this Internet world to appear anonymous. If a name was required for everything that was said and a way to get in touch with that person (nothing to hide behind), I can assure you less mean comments would be made. People would watch what they say. Too often we hit the send key without realizing that our comment might hurt someone else. And, when a family is hit with such a disease as the HPV virus, it is devastating enough without accusations being made as to infidelity.

2 Comments:

Barb said...

I absolutely agree, Barbara. It's very cowardly to say hurtful things to someone and hide behind anonymity. I don't moderate my comments yet, but I tell you, I came very close to changing my settings last night when that awful comment came in.

Thank you for saying what so many of us out here think.

Barbara said...

You are welcome, Barb. I just hope that others who post anonymous will get it a thought to not do it again.