Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Anything goes?

Times have changed tremendously during my years here on earth. I can remember a time when you didn't sass your parents, are you were in deep trouble. You always said things like thank you; no, sir; yes, sir; yes, ma'am; no, ma'am - just good sense politeness to your elders. You were kind to others and didn't try to start fights. If you were wrong you admitted it, and didn't try to give reasons to prove you were right, when you knew you weren't. Students listened to their teachers and coaches and held them in high esteem. So,what has happened?

We have changed. People are no longer afraid to do whatever it takes to come out 'first' in their mind. Take the case of former President Clinton and his interview on Fox News yesterday. In the midst of questions, he couldn't keep calm and answer questions that were put before him. But, at the first question as to his ability to get bin Laden, he exploded with his temper, and his finger pointing at Mike Wallace. I believe when you are in this sort of situation, your demeanor really shows! And, I think it really made President Clinton look very bad! I wonder why he seems to come 'unglued', when met with a question that he seems wrong or inappropriate (although Mike's question was not). It would benefit him more, if he was able to answer calmly, without trying to make people think he was 'set up'.

My grandchildren say other kids curse on the fields during the sports events, and think nothing of it. I have heard other teams do it myself, sitting not many feet from a soccer game. The kids will scream at their parents, never say, "I'm sorry", or 'yes, ma'am, etc. It is like politeness and etiquette has gone down the tube with our youngsters. But, they aren't the ones to blame. I think parents have let the kids down. I told my grandsons other night, had I said something another person said to their parents, I'd probably be dead today, or I'd have wished I was when it happened! Real discipline has declined in America among lots of families. The children are turned loose at an early age, and they learn on their own from other kids. And, the parents have a hard time getting them back in control, unless they do it promptly. But, with today's fast life, sometimes, when the problem seems to arise, we are too late.

Road rage has gone to the extreme. People will run you off the road for absolutely no reason, except, in their minds, they've been done wrong. How many of you have been almost hit by that wreckless driver trying to get in your lane just to turn right in a few yards? I have many times! But, did I run them down, curse them out, shoot them? No, but it's happened. Drivers play tag on the road, and it doesn't matter if there is lots of traffic or not. They want to have their version of 'fun'. But, it's not fun; in fact, it could mean death for someone.

I guess you can call me an old fogey. But, I was brought up to obey my parents, be respectful to them and to others, and obey the law. I was disciplined when I disobeyed (which wasn't often) in a way I knew I didn't want to do whatever I had done again. My Mother had charge of her children until they left her home when they married. And, today, she's almost 90 years old, and I still feel the need to be a respectful person, and to do things that will not bring dishonor to her. I wish all children were taught the same. I know we taught our son and daughter those things, and they, in turn, are teaching their children that there are rules and you do abide by them!

Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Deuteronomy 5:16 Honour thy father and thy mother, as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee, in the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

1 John 5:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous said...

This blog was ever so true!! Times have changed - the world is more wicked with each passing day - sin rules.

I found your blog by accident and will park here a while :-) I have been truly blessed!

Barbara said...

Hi,Kate,

I like to think God rules, and satan and his followers are deceived. :) But you are right; the world is getting more wicked each day and will do so until God returns to take His people out.

Thanks for visiting, and do hang around awhile!

laura linger said...

Well, Barbara, what do you expect? We live in a society that apparently thinks that it is A-OK to sanction torture and the suspension of habeus corpus for *suspects,* in fact, we signed it into law. And you're surprised that ours is a land of the uncivilized?

If it had been AWOL George who got upset with Chris Wallace instead of President Clinton, would you be outraged? Probably not. I see that you make no mention of Bush losing his temper with Dan Rather and being rude (while lying about the war that has costs thousands of American soldiers their lives), but I digress) a couple of years ago. Maybe Bill Clinton just got tired of being blamed for AWOL George's mess. He's only human. I haven't figured out what George is, yet.

Barbara said...

Laura, what is your reason for following my posts, when all you try to do is tear down ANYTHING I say? I sure don't come to your site to pester you! If you don't like Christians and what they stand for, that's fine with me. Just leave us all alone. Otherwise, I'm going to start deleting all your posts.

As far as Clinton goes, if you read all the comments - all the news items - you'll find he LIED, period!

laura linger said...

Actually, Barbara, I find your site fascinating. You remind me a lot of the type of people I grew up with in rural Indiana. And while I do not agree with most of what you say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I'm not trying to pull down the things that you write. I do try to provide another viewpoint, and you are always welcome to do the same on my site.

In fact, since I have been so busy lately, I have been considering inviting Guest Bloggers to write columns over on AGL. You might not believe me, but I was considering asking you to contribute something.

I believe that you are a goodhearted woman who tries very hard to serve her God and love her family. I really and truly do. I don't refer to you over on my site as "America's Best Christian" for nothing. You represent a segment of society that liberals like me want to figure out, because we most certainly must address you in some fashion since you keep winning elections!

Take care, I was being honest in my questions, not confrontational. I'm sorry if it seemed otherwise.

Barbara said...

Laura,
I was being nice and considerate, letting your comments stand on this site this time. But, after I visited your site for the first time in months tonight, I find you apparently love to ridicule people, especially if they don't hold to your point of view, and are Christians. I wonder if you ridicule those who don't hold to your view point and are liberal.

I doubt that you would ever have asked me to contribute anything to your site. Besides, I get enough of ridicule from you without posting anything there; you do it yourself.

And, yes, I did turn on moderation because of you. I've had others that disagree with me, but they did not attack me with their remarks as you seem to do. I don't expect all people to hold to my views. I know some will disagree, but they come off a lot nicer than your comments. I guess, with your first tirade on my site, it left me with a bad taste in my mouth. And, I haven't found the right mouthwash to take the taste out yet.