Monday, February 18, 2008

Judge for yourself

Valentine's Day has just passed for the year and we won't have to deal with it for another year. But, some don't like dealing with it period. In fact, when googling for a specific topic, I came across the blog Life in the Fast Lane. The first post that came up was 'Anti-Valentine's Day - Love Really Stinks'.

Now, being a happily married woman, I have to disagree with this post. Oh, I understand that some single people, and even perhaps those that don't want to buy their spouse something for the occasion, have problems with Valentine's Day. But, you can dislike VDay, but please don't try to tell me love stinks. Love is definitely not about Valentine's Day, no matter what anyone says or what your heart tells you. If love depended on VDay, then most of us would definitely be in trouble! It is nice to get something special, but it is not a prerequisite for whether I love my husband or not. My husband-to-be (then) sent me a box of candy from Texas where he was stationed in the Air Force back in 1964, the year we were married. And, I can probably count on my fingers how many times since I have gotten even a card from him on VDay. And, the love has not stopped. He is not one for cards, holidays, etc. And, over the years, I have come to accept that being his nature. I'm not ready to declare that 'love stinks' just because he is not at his best romantically on VDay.

Whatever the day of the year, I choose to be happy. It does not take Valentine's Day, a secular holiday, to accomplish the task. Whether it is someone you date, about to be married, or married to now, they should be the determining factor in the love relationship - not some holiday man has set aside. Heaven forbid that someone would want a divorce based on their spouse not recognizing Valentine's Day and bringing them a gift. Be happy that your spouse returned home to you! Be happy they are well and not sick. Be happy that they chose you over all the others they could have chosen. And, if you are single, thank the Lord that He has given you another year in which to show love. In showing love for others shows that you are considerate of the feeling of others and in return, the love will come back to you.

Linked at Conservative Cat
Third World County

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 Comment:

Cathy said...

A nice post, Barb. I have something for you over at my blog.