Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Living by the rules

We live life by rules, whether they are set by ourselves, or someone else who is in charge. When we work for an employer, we are expected to do things by their rules. We join the company with the knowledge that we do what they say; otherwise, we might find ourselves without a job.

Parents make rules for their children,and expect them to obey them. But, when they don't, there are usually consequences for their disobedience. It may be that they are grounded for a time, or perhaps have lots of privileges taken away from them, i.e., cell phone, automobile, computer, etc. The kids make the decision to obey or not to obey, and either grow or suffer the punishment by their parents.

And, there are rules we live by as a Christian. God knows we live in a world of secular tendencies. We find ourselves being pulled from both sides daily. But, we are expected to resist those secular tendencies and live by the commandments He has laid out within His Word.

  • Matthew 22:37-40, "Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."
And, there are consequences, when we don't keep His commandments...
  • Psalms 89:30-34, "If his children forsake my law, and walk not in my judgments; If they break my statutes, and keep not my commandments; Then will I visit their transgression with the rod, and their iniquity with stripes. Nevertheless my lovingkindness will I not utterly take from him, nor suffer my faithfulness to fail. My covenant will I not break, nor alter the thing that is gone out of my lips."
The secular world may write us off, or perhaps fire us from the job. But, God, in his loving kindness, will give us another chance. He may chastise His children, but he never forsakes them.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

1 Comment:

jay said...

Barbara,
I'm glad you quoted Jesus' teachings on the 10 commandments. I had this in mind during our previous exchanges. I'm just wondering how "Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself" should be shown in our daily lives, in your opinion. Maybe you could expand on this a little.