Monday, June 18, 2007

Marriage Bliss

Visiting over at Barb’s A Chelsea Morning, you could not miss that there is a wedding about to take place. Barb’s daughter, Mandy, is getting married this coming Saturday. And, Barb is up to her eyeballs (almost literally) in preparations. She is also hosting a Sunday brunch for about 40 guests the morning after the wedding. I have been through this before,(the wedding, not the brunch) and it’s a lot of work!

No matter how much you try to make things perfect, something always goes wrong. It might be something very trivial as not enough food being prepared for the reception. Or, it could be something as bad as the lights being turned off during the ceremony, ruining the taping of the wedding (happened at my daughter’s wedding). You can do without food, but, when the wedding tape does not turn out correctly, that’s a disaster. Hopefully, nothing past trivial will take place at their wedding. We want Barb to enjoy this wedding without any problems. After all, her little Chelsea was clipped by her groomer and, according to Barb and her picture, they are both embarrassed. This is all the trouble Barb needs before the wedding!

Weddings are wonderful. It does not matter where they take place, whether in a church, at home, Justice of the Peace, or in a Judge’s office - just that both are ready for this marriage. Why would I know? Well, on July 6th, my husband I will have been married for 43 years. We did not have a big, expensive wedding. There were no bridesmaids or grooms, no best man; in fact, nobody was at our wedding, with the exception of the Judge’s secretary. Yes, we got married in the office of the Probate Judge in a downtown Courthouse. My soon-to-be husband was in his Air Force dress uniform and I was in a blue shantung dress. He was on leave for our wedding. Looking back, I would not change a thing, other than for my Mother and Daddy to have been there. But, they understood. After all, my Mother said she was not losing a daughter, but gaining a son.

When I was young, I always imagined having a large church wedding. But, it did not work out that way, and it has never bothered me. I see all the money spent on big weddings that could be spent on other things. Guess I’m just conservative. I understand lots of brides save for their wedding day and they want to splurge. My daughter did that, and it lasted nine years. Oh, she would have stayed married forever, but it takes two to make a marriage of bliss.

But, I digress. Marriage is something to take very seriously. We should marry someone of our own faith, although most do not. We fall in love and don’t give a thought to having a spiritually strong marriage. And, this will be the downfall of lots of marriages. Not all fail, but things would be better if both husband and wife were of the same faith, and Christians. When Jesus is the center of your marriage, then you have a better chance of surviving and really enjoying true marriage bliss.

To Mandy and her future husband, Aaron, I wish the best. May God be the center of your life always. And, may your marriage be steeped in extreme happiness! And, may your honeymoon be delightful!

Barb, I already see a proud Mother and mother-in-law. I know you feel like my Mom did – you and your husband are gaining a son in your family!
And, I know you already love your future son-in-law. Having been ‘watching’ you and the preparations you have been involved in for this wedding, I know you are enjoying this tremendously. As this day comes to pass, may God bless each of you with love, joy, peace, and happiness. I know it’s going to be an exciting time around your house!

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Maxine said...

Such a nice post. You are right about things going wrong at weddings. Mine was only the horrible thunderstorm that took place as I arrived at the church. To tell you the truth, Barb, if I had it to do over, I probably would not have had a large wedding either. Congrats on 43 years--proof that the size of the wedding has nothing to do with the length of the marriage. Blessings to the happy couple.

Barbara said...

Thank you, Maxine.

A girl got married at our church a few months ago. She left her veil at home, and just so happened another girl had just gotten married a few months before and ran home and got her veil quickly. Saved the day.

The only thing that happened at my wedding was the fact the Judge couldn't hear my husband say "I do", and I had to punch him in the side and told him to talk louder. He was nervous! :)

Cindy Swanson said...

I love visiting A Chelsea Morning...I've been following the wedding preparations with interest.

Nice post, Barbara!

Talk..to..Grams said...

I don't know if my comment went through are not! I don't know if I did it right or not! But I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog and telling me you would pray for Nancy! and I think it is wonderful that you all have been married for 43 years!!!
Grams

Barb said...

Well it took me a while to get over here and read this, Barb, but my word, thank you for this wonderful post.

It's the Wednesday after the fact now and all is calm. And you probably know that everything went perfectly. We only ALMOST lost the cake. LOL

Mandy and Aaron called last night when they arrived in Hawaii. I can't describe how happy they are. I feel so, so good about this marriage.

It was all a lot of fun and honestly, I don't think any of us ever got too stressed. My first daughter's wedding was a nightmare of stress and I approached this one determined it not be that way.

Thank you again for this beautiful post and all your well wishes and rest assured your name is in the hat for the wedding favor giveaway over at my place.