Saturday, June 23, 2007

We are having a heat wave!

The temperatures have been in the 90's for a good while. There is hardly any air stirring, which makes it extremely hot. I was at my Mother's today, and it was 96 under her carport. Out in the hot sun, it registered 102! She had guessed 100.

The heat is enough to make you want to stay in the house constantly. And, I do stay in most of the time. But, there comes a time when you need to go to the store or go out for other things. And, you are in an air-conditioned car, feeling really good, only to have to step out into the sweltering heat of the day. It is enough to make you sick. I can remember a time when we didn't have an air-conditioned car and we thought nothing of it. My husband and I dated in a 1957 Impala Chevrolet with no air-conditioning. We just rolled down the windows (it was a hardtop) and let the hair blow. And, we bought a 1967 Pontiac GTO in 1967 in Texas before he got out of the Air Force. And, it had black leather seats - and no air-conditioning. I don't know what we were thinking!

My children or grandchildren will never know what it is to be without air-conditioning, with the exception of a unit burning out. Then, you would think they are dying! When I was growing up, nobody had air-conditioning in their homes or cars. We had only one oscillating fan in our home and we made do. We opened our bedroom windows at night and let the cool breeze blow. Now days there seems to be no cool breezes blowing. Besides, I'd be afraid to open my windows because of the crime rate in our nation. You never know who is lurking outside in the dark.

I know that we are experiencing a heat wave, but think about how much worse the alternative to heaven is going to be like! I don't understand why anyone would not want to live for the Lord and go to heaven instead of living a 'good life' for the devil and going to hell. It apparently hasn't registered with them just how hot it is going to be. For me to burn a finger taking something out of the oven is hot enough for me! Just being next to an open fire makes you hot. So why would a person want to expose themselves for eternity to hell fire?

Some think that this is it - this life on earth will end and that will be the end of us. The Bible does not bear that out. The very first verse in the Bible says 'In the beginning God created heaven and earth'.(Genesis 1:1) If He had not meant to have His people join Him in heaven, why would He create heaven?

I leave you with the following verses of Truth from His Word:

  • 1 Thessalonians 4:15-18, "For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. Wherefore comfort one another with these words."
Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,