The world is constantly after the youth of today. And it is easy for them to be caught up in the worldly ways without realizing it until it's almost too late.
The music that attracts teens today is so different than when I was growing up or even when my children were teens. What our parents thought was inadmissible or what we forbid our kids to listen to was nothing compared to some of the music and lyrics to which the children are subjected today. One of the worse types of music today, in my opinion, is rap. The teens think it is great, but just listen to some of the lyrics coming from the popular rappers! There is no way my children would be listening to rap music in my house. But, in today's world, iPod's are very popular among the youth. And, if a parent doesn't listen often to the music they have on them, then there is no way to keep your child from becoming vulnerable to the world's terrible music.
The world is also pushing for their innocence. No longer is abstinence (just saying no) a popular way of keeping a teen from becoming sexually active. In fact, society thinks the way to keeping a teen 'safe' is to provide condoms and pills to them at an early age. Our children are being pushed into adulthood way before their body and mind is ready.
The government in some states are pushing 'sex education' in the schools that promote alternative life styles. A bill was signed in California by the Governor that was to supposedly protect all children from harrassment. He has taken 'Mom and Dad' and 'husband and wife' out of the schools. This gives way to the 'two Moms' or 'two Dads' idea of a family so the children of these 'couples' won't feel embarrassed. In other words, they will teach your children that these alternative lifestyles are correct and undermine the family teaching that the Bible teaches otherwise.
There are ways to try and protect your children:
- Know the media that is influencing your child. Check their iPods and MySpace pages often. There is an alternative to MySpace called Battle Cry.
- Know their friends. We are too easily influenced by nice talking teenagers. But do you actually know them or their parents?
- Find mentors to whom your children will listen when they will not listen to you. Honoring the parents has sort of become a 'lost art' in society today. The outside influences are so strong, children often forget they are to mind their parents rather than badmouthing them.
- Foremost, stay connected to your children. Communication is a life saver! Never let your children feel as though they can't talk with you. Always give quality time to each of your children.
- Ephesians 6:1-4, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth. And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord."
Linked at Conservative Cat
Technorati Tags: Youth, Teens, Vulnerability, Peers, Music, Parents, Parenting, God, Lord