Thursday, August 31, 2006

Thursday Thirteen #9



13 Things For Which I Am Thankful

  1. Knowing Christ as my Saviour - many people claim to be a Christian but do not really know Christ as Saviour
  2. Bible - the Word of God to study and learn about His commandments and will for our lives here on earth. It's the greatest instruction book ever printed!
  3. Husband - We have been together for over 43 years, married 42. I could never have found a better person to spend my life with. Things are not always 'wine and roses', because we all are individuals. But, we understand how to live together, letting each other have our space, never being jealous, loving every minute with one another. I thank God for him, and our life together every day!
  4. My Children - I thank the Lord that I raised two great children. They learned honesty, compassion, and giving. And, they are passing that on to their children.
  5. My grandchildren - I have 5 great grandchildren. Two of them are older teenagers. Those 2 and their younger brothers have learned to overcome obstacles in their lives that lots of children never go through. But, Mom has been a great blessing in their lives, teaching them to be the best they can, regardless of circumstances. They will be overcomers, and stronger as a result.
  6. Health - All of my family is healthy. Oh, we have the usual small things, and I've had a break or two or three (one major), but nothing that has curtailed my activities for very long. But, none of us have had major things other than my husband's bout with gall bladder surgery last year, his first time in the hospital. But, he is well now. Also, my Mother is 89 and doing great!
  7. My Home - I am thankful to have a place to live, one which is comfortable, and paid for. But, mostly, it is a place I feel safe and loved. Not all houses are 'homes'.
  8. Friends - I have lots of acquaintances, but only a handful of close friends. And, those friends mean the world to us. All of us might not be able to see one another often, but we know each care for the other, and pray for one another. I am lucky, though, to have one whom I meet each week at the college genealogy library, and we share breakfast and lunch that day.
  9. Church - I thank the Lord that I have the freedom of being able to go to church, to meet with other like-minded people several times a week, and learn the Word and worship together. And, I'm thankful we have a great pastor and his wife.
  10. Freedom - we do not realize how much freedom we have here in America, until we read about the persecution of others in other lands.
  11. Choices - the ability to make choices in life. Sometimes we do not make the right ones, but we have the option of making the choice. This can be choices in our every day lives, our job, our family, or personal lives.
  12. Life - There is nothing greater than being alive at such a time as this.
  13. But, most of all, I'm thankful that God is my provider, the One in whom I can trust and who cares about me above all others.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



1. guppyman
2. Random Yak
3. Becki
4. A Chelsea Morning
5. Mysterious Lady
6. Southern Girl
7. My Splatter Painted Life
8. Kimmy
9. PaxilPrincess
10. Barbara H.
11. Margie
12. Margie
13. delightful duchess
14. SunshineBlues
15. Wacky Mommy
16. Nikkie
17. Renee
18. LuluBunny
19. Tug
20. bernie
21. Friday\'s Child
22. Pass the Torch
23. kristarella
24. Christine
25. Debby
26. EmilyRoseJewel
27. c.a. Marks
28. Baggage
29. on the Rock
30. Nathalitanis
31. Tink
32. pixieprincessmom
33. Jenny Ryan
34. mar
35. Dane Bramage
36. Cindy Swanson
37. Mickey\'s Wife
38. Jersey Girl
39. Irish Church Lady
40. Amy@Halo Inc
41. presentstorm
42. amy

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.


Technorati Tag:

43 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Great list! I would have a very similiar list if i ever really sat and thought about it

Barbara said...

Thanks, Guppyman. It took me awhile to type all those out, since I forgot about the list yesterday. :)

Barb said...

I love it when someone does a "thankful" Thursday Thirteen. One thing I identified with right away? Like you, I know a lot of people, am friendly with them, but only call a very small group of people real true friends. And they mean more to me that all my acquaintances combined.

This is a really really nice list.

Meira{FB} said...

Nice list! Happy TT

Southern Girl said...

Wonderful list! I can relate to several of them myself.

Thanks for visiting my TT, and DO pass on the link to your pastor's granddaughter -- us Clay fans have to stick together. ;)

Lindsay said...

WONDERFUL, very heart felt list!!!
This made me start thinking of all the things I am thankful for!
happy TT

Kimmy said...

Beautiful list! We all need to sit down and think about what we're really thankful for... and praise God for His never ending blessings!
Number 1 is so true. So sad, but so true.
Happy T13! My list's up!

Unknown said...

Happy T13!

What a wonderful list! I should make a list of what I am blessed with.
Have a blessed day!

Anonymous said...

Very thoughtful list!

Margaret said...

That was a wonderful list. I love reading God's Word also and lately thought this read through - I'm relating the entire story personally to my walk and growth since Salvation. Like Adam & Eve were new to personally know Him as I once was - to the trials of David and tests God allowed for me as Job. Gradually starting to experience the Wisdom of Paul. It is a wonderful story of even ones personal self.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post. Its so nice to read such a meaningful post.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful listing of thankfuls. I agree with all and love the way you wrote them. I enjoy these kinds of lists! Thanks for stopping by my place today> I hope it has been a happy Thursday!

Neil said...

I'm thankful for you today Barbara, for your kind and thoughtful posts, for the example you share with those us that haven't been married 42 years and are still trying to get our kids raised...grandchildren...please, I'll be thankful to survive two daughters!
Thanks for sharing with me!

Barbara said...

Thanks, Neil, for the kind words. You will survive, both raising your daughters, and 42 years of marriage, if God tarries.

Mall Worker said...

That is a great list to be greatful for!

Renee Nefe said...

looks like you've got all that matters in life.

Thanks for stopping by today.

Jen said...

What a sweet list!

Thanks for stopping by :-)

Tug said...

AWESOME list...

Thanks for stopping by!

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Wow! Those are great list of thankfuls. You are truly blessed.
Thanks for passing by.

Kelly Curtis said...

I think it's important to write lists like these! Well said.

Thanks for commenting on my TT. Home of Pass the Torch Tuesdayhsv

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds great. I am not always as thankful as I should be for things. I easily bog down in other things. Need to work on that.

Unknown said...

Thanks Barbara for reminding me with such a wonderful list, to Thank God for all he has given to me. You are truly blessed.
Have a great Thursday, Take care, and God Bless!

The Gatekeeper said...

Hello Barbara, what an awesome list. You sound like someone I would love and need in my life. I have lived in many houses and can finally call this one home.

I like number 13 the best of all. I thank God also for being my provider and now He is also the Father to my fatherless. Thanks for your thoughts

Unknown said...

All but the grandchildren I am right there with you. Hopefully one day way in the future I will add grandchildren. I am so enjoying my child right now. I am so thankful for all these things and couldn't live without Christ in my life and my relationship with Him--my lifesource. Thanks for stopping by!

Carol ReMarks said...

Great list. I like to do gratitude lists of stuff that is not so obvious though because it really makes me think about my day and how really, truly great it was...here are a few examples:

1. for getting up on time because I didn't have to yell and rush the kids out the door this morning.

2. that a I had a few $$ in my wallet because I was really hungry at lunch today

3. that I now have a few free minutes to read this blog and get reminded of the good stuff in life.

Thanks Barb!

Anonymous said...

What a great list! How blessed you are for having such a long marriage.

on the Rock said...

That's a nice list!

Nathalie said...

Great list and thanks for visiting my TT!

Tink said...

It's a wonderful thing to count your blessings. More people should take the time to do so. Great list!
Thanks for stopping by.

twiga92 said...

These are some wonderful things! God is awesome!

Pixie said...

That is a wonderful list & you are so right about God. He's just too awesome for words really. And congrats on 42 years of marriage & your beautiful family.

Thanks for visiting me yesterday. Have a blessed weekend.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 42 years of marriage! My parents and my in-laws both celebrated 40 years this summer. It's such a good example of what's possible for the rest of us married folk.

MaR said...

Congrats on a long, stable marriage. It is very special! nice positive list, happy TT :)

Dane Bramage said...

Great List. Not many people take the time to count their blessings. Thanks for stopping by my T13.

Cindy Swanson said...

Great list, Barb! It's always good to stop and take stock of the things we have to be thankful for.

laura linger said...

Barbara, stop being so arrogant about Jesus Christ. Don't you realize that Jesus chastized the Pharisees again and again for such behavior? YOU are the one who truly "knows Christ." The others just "claim" to be Christians (you know, like Bush, right?) How can you be so sure of that? Did Jesus come down from Heaven and appoint you the judge? Where is the humility in your heart, when you judge others and their beliefs that way?

I'm sure that you will delete my comment, which is why I will be posting it, along with a link over here, on my site.

Maybe the lot of you should stop patting yourselves on the back for your holiness and get out in the community and do the work of God.

I'm glad you love the Lord. But pride goeth before a fall, missy...or haven't you read your Bible lately?

Anonymous said...

42 years of marriage is a gift! wonderful!

Barbara said...

Laura Linger,

No, I will let your comment stand this time for the world to see how you react. Remember, it was you who would not let my comment go on YOUR website after you said all manner of hateful things to me and about me and said you'd seek the ACLU on me, if I said anything.

YOU have a problem, not me, as anyone who wants to look up your name in Google, and read the comments everyone that 'knows' you write.

I am not an arrogant person. But, to you, perhaps it bothers you so much for a CHRISTIAN to mention JESUS, that you go off on a tangent and have to react. It would say more for you if you could react less.

I AM thankful to know Christ as my Saviour, and there ARE people who call themselves Christians that have never been saved, whether you want to admit it or not.

AND, while I'm saying this, one other thing I want to mention here is there is only ONE way to heaven, and that is through the saving GRACE through FAITH in Jesus Christ. And, if you don't know HIM, I feel sorry for you, considering the state of the world today.

Anonymous said...

I don't know why Laura would have a problem with your statement that "many people claim to be a Christian but do not really know Christ as Saviour." Jesus said the same in Matthew 7:21: "Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven." Paul said, "Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves" (II Cor. 13:5). Proverbs says in two places, "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death" (14:12; 16:25). There is such a thing in Scripture and in real life as thinking everything is fine spiritually but being mistaken.

I didn't see your statement as proud or as casting aspersions on anyone else. The whole subject of your post was thankfulness. I just saw that statement as that: thankful to have found Him, thankful to know the way. Nothing wrong with that at all!

Barbara said...

Thanks, Barbara H, for the verse. I didn't think to post it. You are right; I wasn't posting what I did to cast doubt on anyone's salvation. Scripture says that His sheep knows his voice and will follow Him. I don't think that anyone who knows His voice would have a problem with what I said.

Irish Church Lady :) said...

Barbara and Barbara H

- well put and thanks for quoting the scripture.
- I love the passage from the Gospel of John
The Good Shepherd and His Sheep. It's one of the reasons I have a sheep for my blogger pic

Here's the full chapter if anyone is interested John 10

Great TT Barbara!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara! Im browsing the CWO Blogroll. This has to be one of the nicest Thursday Thirteen List Ive read! I enjoyed my visit to your Blog:)Have a wonderful weekend and God Bless~Amy

Tracy S said...

Amen to number one.. I can realte to this list totally...

This is a very neat idea for a TT .. I may have to try this sometime.

next week I am posting some thought provoking and some funny Christian one liners.

Thanks for the visit....Sorry it is taking me so long to get back around...