Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Myth of Daylight Savings Time

Each Spring, we rush to run our clocks forward for one hour. And, in the Fall, we turn them back one hour. We think we are giving ourselves one more hour of daylight in the Spring. What we are truly doing is messing up our internal body clock. It makes us have to get up one hour early - usually dark, and it makes us grumpy.

Daylight savings time does nothing to the earthly time table. While we run it forward one hour, it doesn't change a thing on earth. God's timetable stays the same. The amount of hours in the day and night stay the same. The sun still comes up at the same time, although we see it as an hour earlier on our clock. The sun still goes down at the same time God meant for it to go down. "Time" changes for us, but yet stays the same.

I wish man had never come up with the idea of Daylight Savings time. I was perfectly happy getting up at the regular time. It didn't make me feel any better to have an extra hour of daylight. I guess it might make some workers happy that they are getting home a little earlier in the afternoon in the daylight. But, to me, they could have left well enough alone! Man always has to get in the middle of things and foul something up.

This morning, I sat in church during the worship service and yawned! I could have used another hour of sleep. I got up at 8AM, which was actually 7AM for me, and that's too early. I'm a night owl, and night owls like to sleep later. I had to be at church a little early this morning, and losing that hour of sleep makes that tough. But, I lived through it, and I'll continue to live thorugh it all summer. But, I do wish they would dump this Daylight Savings Time and let us get on with our lives as God planned it.

In fact, go read what Ken at Oblogatory Anecdotes has to say about Daylight Savings Time. He's convinced it causes global warming!

Linked at Church and State
Conservative Cat

Technorati Tags:

3 Comments:

Ken said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog and for the comments. Anything that gives me one less hour of sleep can never be a good thing, even if I make up for it in the fall.

Barb said...

It takes me a couple of days to adjust, too. I do like having the extra hour of daylight in the evening but I hate it being so dark when I get up. It's always seemed strange to me that they mess with our time in the first place.

Anonymous said...

Cute Blog, Barbara- had me lol. By being so early, isn't it supposed to be saving something- maybe money?

Cathy