Friday, September 21, 2007

Are you getting old or just growing up?


My age is ‘rising’ in numbers, but I do not view myself as getting old. I believe old is a mentality we sometimes take on. It has been mostly set in our minds that, as we approach a certain age, we are getting old. As the old saying goes, ‘I refuse to get old. I’m only getting better.’

Today’s women and men look far younger than those that I remember when I was a youngster. Times were harder back then, and people were broken down in body because they had to work so hard, especially if they had a big family and had to do manual work.

I told a friend today that I love the verse that says ‘calleth those things which be not as though they were’ (Romans 4:17). I used to see my Mother have terrible hot flashes and I always said I would never have them. And, I haven’t.

I hear people say “MY” arthritis is getting me down. Well, I don’t have arthritis and I never would want to OWN him! I tell them to tell ARTHUR to go elsewhere.

Today, I was sent a poem called ‘The New Alphabet – 2007’, in which they give the senior citizen an aliment for every letter in the alphabet. Well, I refuse to have all those ailments. Of course I have an occasional pain in my knee or my back, but I’m not going to be saddled with something that will keep me from doing the things I love to do. My mother is 90 years of age, never had arthritis, so why should I? She does have a problem with her lower back and knees at times, and she doesn’t get around like she did a few years ago. But I’d be happy to have those if I were to live to be 90+. But, right now, I’m not saying I’m old – because I’m of the opinion that we are only as old as we think – not as we feel. Many young people have more problems than I’ve ever thought of, so we can’t say those things come only to the older generations. I’ve had many people to tell me that I am not as old as I say I am, and I love to hear that. I’ve been told that some people I graduated from high school with look ten years older than me – same way with my husband. That’s nice to hear, too. I don’t care if those people have bad eyesight or not. I just know that I don’t consider myself old, although I do love to take the seniors discount!

Linked at Conservative Cat
Church and State

Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 Comments:

Mimi said...

we are as old as we feel... some days I feel very old... others I feel very young..
I know I am always surprised to look at my self in the mirror and see my mother looking back at me... and think I am not that old (am I?)

Barbara said...

I know what you mean, Mimi. I cleaned the church this morning, and I came back and started washing dishes, put on a load of clothes to wash, and just finished cleaning my bathroom. I'm tired, and I know I'm not as young as I used to be, but hopefully, not as old as God is going to give me time to be. LOL!