Sunday, September 30, 2007

Take it with a grain of salt

Just when I thought I had heard about all the diets, here comes one more. It is unusual in that a preacher is peddling this diet among his sermons.

Rev. George Malkmus has people flocking to hear him from all over the world. They are not only coming to hear him preach, but to hear him talk about his "Hallelujah Diet". He says that God has set forth us a diet in Genesis consisting of only fruits and vegetables. Rev. Malkmus is a very thin man at the age of 73. He says he has followed the diet since he found out he had colon cancer at the age of 42.

Malkmus pounds the pulpit: "What did God tell man in Genesis 1:29? That your food shall be all of those plants that are in that garden. You will not find anything of animal origin in the garden diet. You will not find Twinkies either!"

We've always been taught that you must eat from all four food groups in order to maintain a healthy body - milk/dairy, meat, vegetables/fruits, and bread/cereal. Now they teach the nutrition pyramid instead.

I find a different diet from God in Leviticus 11 where He adds meat to the diet. We are given instructions on what animals we can eat on land and in the seas. If God gave Moses and Aaron the right to eat meat, why would it not also apply to those of us today?
Asked if that is God's endorsement of eating meat, Malkmus insists that section of Genesis refers only to the time of the great flood, when those aboard Noah's ark had to eat animal flesh.

In other words, Malkmus believes, God gave man a onetime pass to stray from the vegan diet of the Garden of Eden. In fact, Malkmus preaches, according to Genesis, that man lived, on average, for more than 900 years.

Each of us have to make up our own mind as to what we will believe as truth and what we believe is not. Each of us have been given the charge of maintaining our own health and well-being once we reach an age where we understand the need to eat correctly and exercise. We have learned that, if we do not eat and exercise correctly, we may become sick, or we may develop obesity. It makes sense to follow a sensible diet daily. And, if we don't, we suffer the consequences of our decision. I, for one, would rather listen to God and His truth on the food that we are able to eat rather than listening to someone who dismisses the Truth in the Word, i.e. Leviticus 11. You will have to make up your own mind.

Food for thought:
Luke 7:36, "And one of the Pharisees desired him that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's house, and sat down to meat."


Linked at Conservative Cat
Church and State
Don Surber

Technorati Tags: , ,

7 Comments:

Marie said...

"Rise, Peter, kill and eat."

Cathy said...

Barb, I am surprised you are just now hearing about that diet. I have seen it in a Christian bookstore. If it helped him when he had cancer, that is wonderful. But I did not realize he preaches it. I do believe God tells us some things not to eat in the Bible. But then we are not under the law now. Interesting post.

Barbara said...

I had never heard of the diet, Cathy. I think he mentioned he had never had a biopsy, just going by bleeding. So he doesn't know if he had colon cancer or not - not documented. He also said something about he would not say it healed all the things that others said they had before going on the diet.

Good thought - we are not under the law.

I don't think he 'preaches' the diet - just that he incorporates it into his visits at the podium. Seems most go to hear him talk about the diet rather than his sermons.

Mimi said...

I had never heard of the diet... but I have tried enough diets in my lifetime to finally realize that any diet that is one sided (all one type of food such as all fruits, or vegetables, etc) is not good for the total working of the body...
I feel that if we eat a well rounded diet in moderation... and get enough exercise... we should stay in pretty good physical condition...
Of course anyone who tells of a new diet whether it be from the pulpit or standing on the corner... there will always be people flocking to hear about it (my self included until a few years ago)

Talk..to..Grams said...

Wow! You sure have to stay grounded more then ever these day in the Word of God!!Something works for that person and then they write a book, etc.... and a whole lot of people go running after it!!!

Not that it would not hurt me to do better on my eating food deal!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! The Chiefs won!
I posted a new post just now and YES I did a new icon and you were right it was easy!! I thought you had to put it in a folder first.... Kelly said what are you doing???? and she set me straight!!

Now I know if you want to Save the icon you make a folder! Blessing today, Carolyn

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I wanted to stop by and thank you for stopping by my blog.

I do find it fascinating how interested people are in how and what we eat. I received a sudden mass of blog visitors a few months ago after a passing mention of a diet. It's not surprising to me that people would go to hear talk about a diet rather than a sermon.

Barbara said...

Mimi, I agree that we need to eat foods from all groups. But, people think they can eat whatever, gain weight, and then take it off by dieting. It doesn't always work that easily. And, dieting sets us up for disappointment, too.

Grams, I agree. So many people are looking for people to 'follow'. I had rather stay tuned to God in the Word, and follow Him rather than running after someone else who thinks he/she has it all right.

Mary, it is interesting you'd say that about someone going to hear him talk about the diet, rather than go for the preaching. So many people go to church for the wrong thing. If you don't have something going on (programs, etc.), you don't keep their interest too long.