Tuesday, September 25, 2007

A toilet or commode?

My Mother always said never air your dirty laundry in public, but she never mentioned the toilet/commode. And this has you wondering why I am doing this now.

Well, a friend of mine told me she always says commode for the indoor plumbing, but was told it was a toilet. To her I said, “I always think of the outhouse of years ago when I hear toilet”. Lots of people do not even have a clue as to what an outhouse is, so I thought I’d inform them.

During my younger years, our small town did not have running water. We had to rely on wells and there was not enough water to put in indoor plumbing. We had a bathroom, but it wasn’t like those we now have in homes – no commode or bathtub. And, the outhouse was down a path where you often had to go late at night with a flashlight. We didn’t give it a thought back then, but I’d think twice now going out late at night.

I remember one funny incident that happened when my younger brother and I had gone there one cold night. In those days, there was a Foremost milk truck that brought milk to your front door. The milk was in coated paper cartons. We always saved the cartons to burn. This one night, my brother had a neat idea, or so we thought. He suggested, rather than light the paper in the carton outside for the one on the outside to stay warm, that we put it in the outhouse. Bad idea!

My Daddy had just built a brand new outhouse, and the floor was 2 x 8’ wood, very thick. But, the carton burned a big, black hole in that floor. I just knew our Daddy was going to tan our hides, but he didn’t. I think that time we were actually saved by the outhouse!

Linked at Conservative Cat

Technorati Tags: , ,

6 Comments:

Maxine said...

Oh, how funny, Barbara. I never had an outhouse where we lived as we just made it with the indoor plumbing. My husband had one and has funny stories about them.
Isn't it amazing how things have changed? I would be afraid to go out to one in the middle of the night in this day and age.

I hate to bring this up, but I wonder what does a person do if he/she has a stomach bug or gets ahold of some bad food? I hate to be gross, but wouldn't it be awful to have to spend half the night in there on a cold winter night?

Barbara said...

Maxine, you are funny! I could tell you what we did, but I'll just say 'you do what you have to do.' :) Write me privately and I will tell you. LOL!

Mimi said...

we had an outhouse...
and I know what you mean...
I met a snake in our outhouse one time... needless to say I jumped clear up and over him in one swift leap to get out... I never know where he went...

Barbara said...

Mimi, the thought of snakes always scared me!

Talk..to..Grams said...

When I was little girl we had an outhoue, too! I have lived in houses that didn't have running water..... makes my kids think I am soooo old!!!

Cindy Swanson said...

I never had the outhouse experience...I guess I've lived a pampered life! Just kidding, but I really don't know how I would handle that...especially, as Maxine said, on those sick nights. I guess when it comes down to it, I really am spoiled. I thank God for modern conveniences!

Great post, Barbara! By the way, I grew up saying "commode," but then I married a Yankee and have lived up north for many years...so "toilet" it is.