Monday, November 26, 2007

Memories of November 22

November 22 is my husband's birthday which happened to fall on Thanksgiving this year.

44 years ago, on Friday, November 22, 1963, a tragedy fell this country. President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. This happened on my husband's 22nd birthday. I remember being at the First National Bank where I worked when the news came through on the radio. We all gathered in the Trust Department and listened to the news until time to get off work. We just could not believe what had happened. My future husband, Bill, was picking me up and we were going to celebrate his birthday. This sort of put a damper on things. Nothing had ever happened like this in our life time.

C. S. Lewis, the author, also died on this day in 1963 at 5:30 in the afternoon of illnesses including a heart attack and kidney problems. He was the author of The Chronicles of Narnia which include The Lion, the witch, and the Wardrobe, The Screwtape Letters, and more.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Cathy said...

Happy late birthday greetings to your husband! Everybody remembers where they were on that day. I was a young mother at home watching TV with my little toddler. It is sad that happened on his birthday.

Mimi said...

your husband seems to have a birthday.. that attracts tragedy.. I certainly hope this didn't dampen his good time for his birthday..
of course this year the whole land of America celebrated his birthday with him!!!
Happy belated Birthday!!!

Barbara said...

I don't think my husband ever thinks about JFK's assassination unless we just bring it up. It's never really bothered him - it was just sad that it happened and on his birthday back then.

He didn't have much of a birthday this year, nor a Thanksgiving, he teased the kids. :) He spent most of the day downstairs working on our granddaughter's computer and then we had to take it home yesterday. He had to do some more work on it up there. But, he had a good meal and the grandkids were here, so he enjoyed that.