Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Whose fool are you?


As the years pass, April 1st, considered April Fool’s Day by most, has become just another day for me. I am not a person of jokes, especially those for fools. They once were funny, but they have just lost their appeal to me.

Here is The American Heritage Dictionary’s top three definitions of a fool:

  1. One who is regarded as deficient in judgment, sense, or understanding.
  2. One who acts unwisely on a given occasion.
  3. One who has been tricked or made to appear ridiculous; a dupe.

Today, Fox News reported that Google had a problem with their search engine. They are reporting a bug someone has slipped in there to cause someone to be sent to a ‘rogue’ place and then their own computer is then hacked. So they are saying to keep your security software on your computers updated. This we do every day by letting it update automatically. Popups occur nearly every day. I sent the information to my son who replied: “Do you think it might be an April Fool’s joke?”

A very close friend of mine sent her son, who loves to play jokes, the following announcement (remember Sarah in the Old Testament?) :

“Setting a new Guiness record
Your Mom, at 67, is old
And you thought I was going to say pregnant
But OLD it is not; Pregnant it is; your baby sister will arrive in 9 months, more or less”

To which her son responded (you would just have to know this kid to appreciate his quip!) “Funny coincidence. I was just about to tell you I was pregnant too.”

But, the best answer for a fool’s joke is something I received in an email this morning. It goes as follows:

I love a quote I heard the first time years ago.. A youth was accused of being a fanatic about his faith and of making a fool of himself. He replied, "So..I'm a fool for God. Whose fool are YOU??"

April 1st has been considered April Fool’s Day for a long time, and it probably won’t go away. And, it’s origin is skeptical, at best. Many will play jokes on others all through the day today. Hopefully, none will be harsh enough to cause problems.

So, to those reading, I ask the question: “Whose fool are you?” I, like the youth, prefer to appear as a fool for Christ. He is not into trickery or joking. He was absolutely serious when He said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one cometh to the Father but through me.”

Linked at Planck's Constant

Third World County
Church and State

Technorati Tags: , , ,


1 Comment:

WomanHonorThyself said...

aw well its a fun day so Happy April Fools my friend!