Monday, April 28, 2008

As we grow older


Each of us, if we live long enough, will get old. Some of us may live a long and vivacious life. Others may live a long life but not be so lively, perhaps with a diseased body. But, each of us want friends and family to still be there for us no matter what our age.

A friend sent me the following link this morning.

As I viewed it, I couldn't help but think of my ninety-one year "young" Mother. She still lives alone (her wish) in the home in which I was born. She only drives in her small town to church. I do her grocery shopping and getting her mail. I do most of her house cleaning, although she does some,does her washing, and gets out in the yard occasionally. I know the years have been good to her since she has outlived her entire family and she was the second child of ten. But, she is no longer youthful, no longer able to do the things she would like and her legs don't carry her as well as they once did. But, she still loves life and wants company and to be able to be with others. One of the things she loved most in her later years was to be able to take bus tours, but that is no longer available. The couple who once got those together is no longer able to do so, and we sit at home.

The desire for elderly people is not to be overlooked, looked down upon, or forgotten. So, as you watch this link, remember your parents and visualize the life that awaits you in the not so distant future. It will bring tears to your eyes, so grab a kleenex!

Linked at Conservative Cat

Photo from All Posters


Technorati Tags: , , ,

2 Comments:

Cathy said...

Barb, that was a sweet, sad video. You are very good to your dear mother. And I am glad she is in such good health. She is blessed to have a daughter like you. Oh, and I liked your picture.

Barbara said...

Thank you, Cathy. I realize, as I get older, we are all going to be old one day - some sooner than others. And, we need to treat the elderly the way we want to be treated.