Sunday, October 22, 2006

New Bible publication literally cuts out unused parts

I have always been a reader of the KJV. In fact, it's the only copy of a Bible that was ever in my parents' home. Therefore, I got very comfortable with it at an early age. And, when I read a different translation, I am forever comparing it, since words are different. I enjoy using The Amplified Bible, which I have in a Parallel Bible with the KJV, for study. But, my memory will always bring back the scripture I learned from the KJV.

Then, I ran across this new Bible publication review. I was shocked! I remembered the tale of the young woman leaving church one day with a Bible missing many pages under her arm. The preacher noticed her Bible and asked what had happened. She told him that, everytime he said something didn't apply for today, she would tear the pages out of her Bible, and about all she had left was the covers.

It seems a Dutch organization wants to take the stress out of reading the Word for contemporary Christians. So, they are literally doing the same thing as the young woman did - removing those parts they feel doesn't apply to us today - or, better still, those parts that they might have a hard time applying to themselves.

That's because those troublesome verses about justice for the poor, responsibility for the rich to address their neighbors' needs, and all that talk about money, are gone. Not just edited out, cut out.

A report from Assist News Service said the Western Bible Foundation published the book to meet the "growing wish of many churches to be market-oriented and more attractive."

The Bible is only available in Dutch for the time being. Hopefully, it will stay there. Parts of the Ten Commandments, Isaiah, Proverbs along with the Sermon on the Mount has been removed. After all, 'it isn't useful for today'.

"After all, 'it isn't useful for today'.

Am I missing something here? Does not the Word say, until heaven and earth passes away, that not one jot or tittle will pass from the law until it is fulfilled? And, I think I remember that Revelation 22:19 warns us about taking away from the scripture, and the consequences of such an action.

The Bible is actually published by Time To Turn, a network of Dutch students
"who want to choose a sustainable and just way of life, based on their faith in Jesus Christ."

Linked at Conservative Cat
Pirate's Cove - Tuesday Linkfest
This May - Or May Not
Adam's Blog

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

1 Comment:

tm said...

The edited Bible isn't in earnest, but a critique of contemporary Christianity, which the publishers believe ignores its duty to the poor.