Saturday, September 24, 2005

I Love My Country

Several weeks now, at the weekly varsity football game, I've had these little funny feelings - you know, the kind you get when something touches your heart. Well, tonight, it happened again.

Each night, they have a moment of silence, and then comes the raising of the flag, as the band plays. And, as I stand there, gazing at that flag, I realize we live in a land of freedoms, a country unlike any other. That 'feeling' of love rises within me, and tears fill my eyes. I've been to football games all my life, but this year, it's been more special, as we stand for that moment of raising the flag. So many things have hit America in the last few years - 9-11 with the falling of the Twin Towers and the Pentagon, and the other plane going down; the hurricane that hit the South coast of Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. And, now, we sit here waiting to see the devastation that Hurricane Rita is surely to present us.

So, tonight, once again standing to watch that flag go up on the pole, I felt the sudden surge of feelings for my country. I wanted to tell everyone how blessed we are to be Americans. How blessed we are to be able to be in that stadium with no threat of terrorism. It might not sound like a big deal to many, but, as you grow older and wiser, things such as this matter, especially as we see our rights and freedoms slowly being taken away. One of these days, who knows, that one person, intent on removing the flag from the flagpole during the football games, may come. I've learned you never say never!

Read Open Trackbacks at My Vast Right Wing Conspiracy.

|Technorati|, ,


4 Comments:

Godsdragon said...

Barbara, I lived until I was 21 in south america. THIS IS the best country to live in the world. I love this land and it's people, probably more than some, probably not as much as some others...
Hope all is well with you after the hurricane stresses...
Peace,

Barbara said...

Ed, so glad you love our country. I wish those that 'hate us' really knew us better than they do.

The hurricanes have all missed us - even most of the rain and wind.

Deb said...

Hi, Barbara. I found you at Sallie's Carnival. I, too, love our country. Each one of us has a duty to "fight" to make it God-fearing. I don't mean just the soldiers who bravely serve our country, either. I wrote a post at my blog on Veteran's Day that you might enjoy. God Bless You!

Barbara said...

Deb, thanks for coming. I'll be over to visit your blog and read your article.

You are right; it's up to all of us to make our Country what GOD would have it be.