Saturday, May 27, 2006

Conservative Top 50 dates me!

I was visiting over at Don Surber's blog this morning and read his post about the Top 50 Conservative songs complied by National Review. He's complaining that there are no soul songs among them. Don thinks the Temptations should have had one among them. What about the Platters? With all their hits, surely they could have voted on just one?

Well, to show you how much their choices date me, here are the ones I know for sure.

  1. #4 Sweet Home Alabama - 1974
  2. #5 Wouldn't It Be Nice - Beach Boys 1966
  3. #15 I Fought The Law - The Crickets - 1965
  4. #37 The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - 1969
  5. #40 Wake Up Little Susie - The Everly Brothers - 1957
  6. #50 Stand By Your Man - Tammy Wynette -1968
I went through High School with groups like The Everly Bros, The Temptations, Platters, and singers such as Buddy Holly, and others. I 'knew' Tammy Wynette from her days on early morning television show in Birmingham, AL, called The Country Boy Eddie Show. In fact, Country Boy Eddie only lives a few miles from me. We know him personally.

I liked The Pretenders, but didn't recognize the song chosen. I never listened to The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. Theirs was just not my kind of music. And, there are many more I didn't recognize. I guess you could say 'I'm getting old', lost touch with this kind of music, and the new groups. These just happen to have run across my path in the past.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,