Monday, May 22, 2006

Madonna crosses line with stunt

What is appealing about a 47 year old woman, in a skin-tight leotard, standing as if nailed to a mirrored cross? She has never appealed to me, in any shape, form, or fashion. So, this would not have endeared her to me.

"Why would someone with so much talent seem to feel the need to promote herself by offending so many people?" the church said in a statement. David Muir, of the Evangelical Society, said, "Madonna's use of Christian imagery is an abuse and it is dangerous. She should drop it from the tour and people need to find their own means of expressing their disapproval."

Madonna's publicist wasn't available for comment. The singer has been in trouble with Christians before. The Pope called for a boycott of her 1990 tour, in which Madonna simulated masturbation during "Like a Virgin." The "Like a Prayer" video brought condemnation from the Vatican for its depiction of a black Jesus and burning crosses.

Can you imagine paying $350 for a ticket to see such a travesty?

A Church of England spokesman said: "Is Madonna prepared to take on everything else that goes with wearing a crown of thorns?

I doubt it very seriously.

Technorati Tags:

2 Comments:

Carol said...

She's just plain naaaasty!

I can't really claim surprise here. She's made a career out of pushing the envelope of propriety to the point of shock. And anyone who cries impropriety will be accused of intolerance, bigotry and hatred.

I guess that would be me.

Barbara said...

Carol, I guess you and I are in the same boat! She is just not my 'cup of tea'!