Monday, March 27, 2006

Just A Rose Will Do

I love flowers. The rose is one of my favorites. Although I love them, I've never planted a rose bush. My Mother has several in her yard. But, they take so much care in order to produce properly, and I've never had a 'green thumb' for that!

Scripture says He is the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valley. (Song of Solomon 2:1) Ida A. Guirey wrote a song in 1922, entitled Jesus, Rose of Sharon.

Jesus, Rose of Sharon, bloom within my heart;
Beauties of Thy truth and holiness impart,
That where’er I go my life may shed abroad
Fragrance of the knowledge of the love of God.

Refrain

Jesus, blessèd Jesus, Rose of Sharon,
Bloom in radiance
And in love within my heart.

Jesus, Rose of Sharon, sweeter far to see
Than the fairest flow’rs of earth could ever be,
Fill my life completely, adding more each day
Of Thy grace divine and purity, I pray.

Refrain

Jesus, Rose of Sharon, balm for ev’ry ill,
May Thy tender mercy’s healing power distil
For afflicted souls of weary burdened men,
Giving needy mortals health and hope again.

Refrain

Jesus, Rose of Sharon, bloom forevermore;
Be Thy glory seen on earth from shore to shore,
Till the nations own Thy sov’reignty complete,
Lay their honors down and worship at Thy feet.

Our hearts desire should be that we show God's love wherever we go, to whomever we meet, just as the rose blooms and gives off its fragrance. Jesus, our Rose of Sharon, is able to guide us throughout life, to fill us to overflowing with His love, so it flows over into those with whom we come in contact. I pray His love shows in me every day.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Barbara...I enjoyed your entry! We are indeed a fragrance to those around us of Christ.

2 Corinthians 2:15For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. 16To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life.

thanks!
Christie

Deb said...

Barbara,
I love flowers, hymns, and pondering the many names of Jesus given to us in His Word. So naturally I enjoyed your post! And you know, I have never planted a rose bush either. I'm too chicken, even though I love them. Maybe we should encourage each other to try one that would be good for our zone.

Barbara said...

Crickl...thanks for the scripture. I know I've read it before, but it just fit in today with the flowers post.

Barbara said...

Thanks, Deb. My husband has always wanted rose bushes, but we've just never planted any. Maybe one day we'll venture out and do that. Right now, I'm wondering just where would I put them.

eph2810 said...

I have never heard of this song. Thank you so much for sharing it, Barbara. It is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard that song - it's really very pretty. I love the Song of Solomon, it's so poetic and romantic!

What a great reminder that we should show God's love.

Barbara said...

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the song.The words are what stuck out at me.