Wednesday, December 14, 2005

The Best Christmas Present Under The Tree

What was in demand when you were a child? Back in my early days, to get a bicycle was like getting a chunk of gold! I never got one, but my older brother did. I got a hand-me-down from a cousin later. But, I got to ride that big bicycle! My husband remembers the Christmas that he and his older brother got a BB gun together! It was the highlight of his youth!

When our children came along, it was the years of The Rubix Cube, GI Joes, Barbies', Monopoly, and still the BB guns. Now, when my grandchildren are growing up, it's been Nintendo, Playstation I & II, and now the XBox, or anything new in the electronics line. For the teenagers, it's the age of the cell phone or the car.

But, Jane Jimenez puts it all in perspective with her column in the Agape Press. We can buy our children anything that our money can afford. But, the best thing is free. That is a stable family life, starting with the parents who are committed to having a happy life and home in which to bring up their children. It means being dedicated to staying together, and the children know they will always have a home and family to come back home to, after they leave. My husband and I have been married 41 1/2 years. I give the Lord the thanks for keeping us together. My parents were married for almost 55 years, when my Dad died. My husband's parents were married for almost 66 years, when his Mom died. They had raised twelve children. You know this was a very taxed family; yet, they stayed together and raised all their children. There's nothing like having an intact family during the holidays; not all children have this.

Linked to Conservative Cat

Technorati Tags| , , ,

2 Comments:

Kerry said...

I remember the year that my sister and I got a set of keys together. We quickly realized it was for a Honda three-wheeler. Like you said, kids get electronic toys now that we could never dream about when I was growing up.

This day and age, staying married for a long time is not something that you hear about very often. Most people feel that if they cannot get along after two or three years, they will just get a divorce and move on. Then people wonder what is wrong with our children.

My wife and I have been married 10 1/2 years which is a long time for a couple our age (mid-30's). My wife's parents have been married around 33 years. My parents have been married a little over 41 years. Of course, you probably already knew that, though. :)

Barbara said...

I think it was actually a picture of the 3-wheeler in the package, not the keys. It was sitting in the basement in the truck all the time - you just hadn't been down there. :) That was some Christmas, and some happy kids! But, then, I remember the GI Joe!