Monday, December 19, 2005

Calling All Chocolate Lovers

'Chocoholics', as they call themselves, may have something on the rest of us. According to a study by Swiss scientists, just a small piece of dark chocolate could lower your risk of getting heart disease.

A few squares of chocolate with 74 per cent cocoa was found to have a powerful antioxidant effect, helping to stop arteries from hardening and narrowing.
Blood flow was significantly increased in smokers after only eating 40 grams of dark chocolate. In a report by Dr. Roberto Cortio, it said that dark chocolate had an anti-oxidant effect that was more powerful than any other source.

The report admitted that dark chocolate for reducing heart disease was still out for debate. But, research is done to see if something is might be of benefit in the future. And, I'm sure this will make all those chocoholics out there happy!

Technorati Tags| , , ,

2 Comments:

J. Stephen Conn said...

This is the most wonderful news I've heard in a long time. I LOVE chocolate - and especially dark chocolate.

Barbara said...

I love chocolate, too, but don't eat it as much as my husband. But, think I might just change that! I know they aren't for sure how much it helps, but anything to help your arteries is good!