Monday, April 03, 2006

'Tasting Technology' In A Personal Way

Technology has given us many things to enhance our lives. We have the washer/dryer, the air conditioner, cars, cell phones, and etc. But, the one that probably everyone loves more than that is the computer. It has brought us the Internet, a way to converse all over the world.

I became acquainted with the Internet in 1991, when we got our first computer. That was before it became as it is today. Back then, you could get on an ISP, talk on their online forums – download them to your computer, answer offline. Today, forums are through email, even though you can read comments online. They are run through Google or Yahoo groups, the most widely known.

The Internet brought me my first truly best friend through a Web site. She and I ‘met’ in 1996. And, we’ve been friends ever since. She lives 12 hours from me, but, through the years, we’ve met 3 or 4 times, going out to eat, when I would be on a bus tour. But, we constantly email or call each other long distance. We know each others troubles, our aches and pains, and often call on each other to pray for something in our lives, or someone we know. We laugh and cry together – along with a few other ladies to whom we both are well acquainted. We all 5 are prayer warriors for each other.

The Internet has made it easier to ‘take the gospel to all the world’. It literally can go around the world in a few minutes, simply by placing it in an email and hitting the SEND button! We find a common bond among the Christians that email all over the world. I’ve been privileged to get to know people in many countries: Canada, Australia, Africa, Thailand, New Zealand, Great Britain – to name a few. And, this would never have happened, had there not been Internet Email available.

I believe the Internet is ‘the sign of the times’ technology. Through it, our lives can be made richer by meeting people we would never have gotten acquainted with. Sometimes that person may be across town, in another state, or even in another country. But, life will never be the same, once you’ve ‘tasted technology’ in such a personal way!

Technorati Tags: , , ,

4 Comments:

Heather Ivester said...

Hi Barbara,

You've been online a lot longer than me. That's great that you've made a best friend through this form of technology. I also think it's amazing that we can travel the world via typing out words. A true blessing for people who love to write.

Thanks for posting in the Carnival. Hope you have a great week!

Barbara said...

Heather,
Glad you came by to read the post.

Yes, it is nice to be able to write and 'meet' people all over the world. I have many friends out there whom I've known for years only over the Internet. A few I've met, some I want to meet, and some I'll probably never meet - one in Australia, one in Thailand, and one in England.

eph2810 said...

You are so right. I have 'met' so many neat people during the short time I have been blogging. There are a lot of great Christian women out there, who have the same mindset as myself. Like you said, we are 'meeting' people we probably never would have met if we didn't have the internet. And spreading the Gospel this way - how awesome.

Barbara said...

Awesome is indeed the word! I never thought I'd enjoy something so much as I do with my Web site and blog! In fact, I never dreamed I'd have a blog; just didn't interest me. But, I actually get excited to come and post here. And, meeting and getting to know others is wonderful.