Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Influence or Edification?

There’s a discussion in the blogosphere today about ‘influential bloggers’ on each of us blog readers. I just came from reading Tim Challis’ post on Influential Bloggers and then jumped over to Mike’s post at Eternal Perspectives, and read his post on ‘Who is the greatest in the Kingdom of Blog?’.

How do you approach a specific blog? Do you go there to be influenced by the blogger’s beliefs? Or, do you go there, hoping to be edified by what he has to say?

I approach different blogs in different ways. Some blogs are ‘for fun’, and I get lots of laughs out of some very great blogs. They don’t specifically ‘influence’ me in my beliefs, although many do hold to the same beliefs I do. Other blogs, those concerning Christianity – I go to see what the writer has to say about specific things. I may agree or disagree, but hopefully, I have the discernment of the Holy Spirit to decide what I should take away as good and leave the other behind. There is too much discussion in the blogosphere about ‘who is right and who is wrong’ in their thinking/beliefs. I tend to go to God and the scriptures to find out what I need to believe. Man can lead you astray; God and His Word never will. After all, Jesus says, “I am the way, the truth, and the life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.” (John 14:6).

My priority here is not to ‘influence’ people to my way of thinking, but hopefully point them to the ways of the Lord. After all, I am only a 'little peon' out here on this vast information trail. When I write something of significance on my blog, I want it to be edifying to others, and pleasing to God. I am not an author of importance, but a willing laborer for the Lord. And, in my daily blogs, hopefully, I have come close to that accomplishment.

Technorati tags: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Antique Mommy said...

"I am not an author of importance, but a willing laborer for the Lord."

Hooray for you. I could agree more with your entire post.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, interesting question. I wouldn't say that I approach blogs in order to be "influenced by the blogger's beliefs." Instead, like you, I go to different blogs for different things. I have those that I go to for information, those that are for fun, and those that I like simply because they are thoughtful and well-written -- like yours.

Anonymous said...

I like visiting other blogs just to see what's being said out there in blog world. I hope something I've written on my own blog will encourage someone or make someone think about their Christian faith or, if they are not a believer, at least get them to think about their own life and hopefully even provide some answers. Different blogs can impact people in different ways depending on their situation. I don't think we should try to measure who has the best Christian blog, but just make sure we honor the name of Christ in whatever we write. At least that's my spin on it. Some blogs make me laugh, some make me think, some turn me off completely. When I find one I like, I try to visit it as often as possible. Yours is a great blog. Keep up the good writing.

Barbara said...

Thanks for the nice words, all of you.

Life, I also like to go to different blogs to see what is written. Sometimes I agree; sometimes, I don't, but all of it gets me to thinking. I certainly agree; we need to try and honor God in what we write. It's like not bringing shame to your parents in anything you do - treat God as the Heavenly Father He is.