Saturday, August 13, 2005

Let Us Pray

Is it just me, or do I see a renewed interest in prayer? The Wednesday night Bible study was on prayer. I've been reading a great blog lately, and ran across his post, Talking to God, tonight.

Today, I got an email from someone, wanting to discuss his/her take on what prayer really is, after reading a devotional where I had referenced verses. I was informed by this person that "our "problem" is that our world is not on one accord". I quickly decided this person didn't understand about prayer. Our world will never be 'in one accord', because the world does not know our God!

The verse in 2 Chronicles 7:14 was explained that the writer meant 'if we as a collective body (meaning everyone on this planet) would come together and truly want good for everyone, then will the universal forces line up and have no choice but to yield good
.'

How misguided are people reading the Word, or perhaps hearing the Word through others, becoming today? Have they not been taught that 'my people', when God is speaking, means those that follow after Him, and Him alone, not the god or gods of this world? How can we become united with people who don't even believe in God?

God says to 'pray without ceasing'. He tells us to 'pray for the peace of Israel.' I see no where in those two verses where we are told to 'unite together' and pray. We can pray individually, or collectively. There is scripture where we are told to pray for one another, but it's not a command that we always become a 'unit' to pray.

Tags: ,