Thursday, October 27, 2005

Harriet Miers Withdraws Nomination

President Bush accepted the withdrawal of Miers' nomination for Supreme Court. She gave a letter of withdrawal in which she said her confirmation process was putting a burden on the White House and was not in the best interest of the country.

I didn't realize, until today, that Democrat Harry Reid had been one to recommend Miers' nomination. Now, he blames the radical right wing of the republican party for killing her nomination. But, I see many Republicans and Democrats that were unhappy with her nomination, due to her qualifications. Many felt she didn't know the Constitution inside and out in order to make sound judgements on the bench. Others say that the President would not turn loose White House papers prepared by Miers. But CNN says that both Republicans and Democrat senators say they had not asked for privileged papers. Either way, Miers is now out of the run for the Supreme Court.

Hopefully, the next nominee will be a more qualified candidate. But, will any conservative nominee satisfy the Democrats? I would hope the President would not fall into the trap of appointing someone that isn't fully conservative just to satisfy the left! That would be a mistake for the party and for the country. Remember, this nominee will serve a life time and could decide the outcome of some very important issues. Right now, it seems that Sandra Day O'Connor will still be able to have a say in some of those issues very dear to conservatives' hearts.

Read Miers Withdraws over at Oblogatory Anecdotes.
Michelle Malkin also has a great article with lots of interesting links to the topic.
Linked at Political Teen
Open Post - Euphoricreality.net - Harriet Miers Withdraws Her Nomination

|Technorati|, , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder who will be the next nominee. I can't think that this hasn't been pretty well thought out. That Miers is just one piece in this puzzle that has yet to be revealed. Maybe I'm over analyzing (happens all the time). It's no secret. I want a conservative on there who understands the law as it is written.

Barbara said...

Blair,
I'm like you,in thinking this might have been a move on the part of the White House to sort of throw them, and the big nominee is coming up. But, why waste all this time? I thought they would want O'Connor replaced quickly. Now, it seems it might be after Christmas, barring a miracle!

Anonymous said...

I have the same questions Barb. The time really is an issue for me as I want O'Connor out asap.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how this unfolds. In the meantime, I know you're joining me in prayer for this situation. God can move mountains :o)

Barbara said...

Certainly praying for the 'right' candidate. I know that person is there and will be passed by congress. I just wish that person had been first in line, so as not to jeopardize some of the issues before the Supreme Court that will come up between now and the first of the year.