Monday, January 30, 2006

Gentleness

Have you ever sat and watched a new Mother hold her newborn baby? There is a gentleness with which she tenderly touches all the babies’ parts, making sure all are there and intact. Her fingers caress those tiny fingers on that baby’s hand, imagining what those fingers might do one day – whether it be long fingers of a pianist, the fingers pushing a pen of an accountant, or those strong hands of a builder.

She finally gets to those beautiful toes! She imagines those toes, all 10 of them, on those beautiful feet, dancing to the sound of the drummer – working their way down the paths that their life will take them. All the while, she’s praying they will stay on solid ground.

I remember seeing the feet of my daughter, my second child. They were so long and so slender! To me, those were the most beautiful feet I had ever seen. Oh, my son’s feet were beautiful, too, but, it was the slenderness of my daughter’s feet that really touched me.

When the new Mother finally gets through inspecting the baby, she takes the blanket and gently wraps up that bundle of joy. She then will place that baby next to her body, so near her heart, you’d expect the child to realize he/she was laying next to someone who loved him/her so much.

The gentleness with which a Mother holds the newborn should be part of us throughout lives. It should spill over into our relationships with others. Scripture teaches us to be “gentle, showing all meekness unto all men.” Titus 3:2 KJV.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

6 Comments:

Carol said...

Great reminder that gentleness and love work together. As I get older, I'm beginning to see more clearly how the fruit of the Spirit are intertwined. Why did I ever think they were separate entities derrived from the same source? I have much yet to learn.

Donna J. Shepherd said...

I love baby feet. I used to liken my daughter's to the petals of a rose - they were so soft. I couldn't kiss them enough.

Thanks for your post on gentleness.

Donna

eph2810 said...

I sometimes wonder why we can not stay this gentle, as we are with our newborn children, for the rest of our live here on earth.

Thank you again for your participation in the carnival.

Barbara said...

Carol, I think we learn much as we grow older. I want to think, if I could go back, I'd change so much.But, as my husband said other night, we'd do it the same way. So, maybe it's in God's plan that we keep learning until home going day!

Donna, I remember kissing my babies' feet, too. Babies are sweet enough to eat, not literally - but I love their smell!

Eph2810, it would be such a wonderful world if we could stay so gentle! But, this is an imperfect world, and we must work to make it a more perfect place.

Full Contact, Savior-centric Livin said...

I remember the waves of emotion that posessed me when my first baby was placed in my arms and then it was repeated five more times--constant reminders to put on the gentleness of Christ. My oldest will be 20 soon and my youngest is 4, but they still need that same gentleness they needed at birth. They need it in my voice, my eyes, and my touch. Thanks for the reminder!

Barbara said...

Oh, you are so right! I am reminded of this each time I see my daughter going through something, and it hurts me.And, she's the Mother of 4 children; yet, she's still my child.