Monday, January 23, 2006

Sign Of A Perfect Heart

This morning, I received an email with a story called The Perfect Heart. I quickly searched to find the story on the Internet, and came up with the one above, which is a little different in the ending.

When one speaks of a 'perfect heart', your mind usually thinks 'medically speaking'. But, this is not the true meaning of a perfect heart. Man says you cannot have a perfect heart; scriptures says otherwise.

I came across this article by David Wilkerson, A Perfect Heart.

It is possible to walk before the Lord with a perfect heart! God said to Abraham, "I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect" (Genesis 17:1).

Wilkerson gives many scriptures in the Bible of accounts of men with a perfect heart 'toward God'. This is a heart which is complete and lacking nothing, in God. It is a heart which puts its trust fully in God.

A perfect heart is one that is searchable:

"The Lord searcheth all hearts" (1 Chronicles 28:9). The perfect heart cries out with David, "Search me, O God, and know my thoughts: and see if there be any wicked way in me" (Psalm 139:23-24).

A perfect heart is a trusting heart:

God has been showing me something recently about trusting Him that I've never seen before! The psalmist wrote, "Our Fathers trusted in Thee: they trusted, and Thou didst deliver them. They cried unto thee, and were delivered: they trusted in Thee and were not confounded" (Psalm 22:4-5).
A perfect heart is a broken heart:

David said, "The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart; and saveth such as be of a contrite [crushed] spirit" (Psalm 34:18). He also said, "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and contrite heart, O God, Thou wilt not despise" (Psalm 51:17).

Brokenness is more than weeping, more than sorrow, more than a crushed spirit, more than humility. Indeed, many who weep are not brokenhearted. Many who lie before God and groan are not broken in spirit. True brokenness releases in the heart the greatest power God can entrust to man - greater than power to raise the dead, greater than power over sickness and disease!

I just finished the review of the book by Lon Solomon, called Brokenness: How God Redeems Pain And Suffering. When we allow ourselves to be broken, our relationship with God becomes a more intimate one. We place our full trust in Him, knowing He has the perfect outcome for us in every situation.

Tags|
, , , , , ,

Linked at Conservative Cat
Bloggin' Outloud - Open Post

5 Comments:

Barbara said...

We will never be perfect in our eyes, or man's. But, in God's eyes,we can be, spiritually.

Thanks for reading, Vonnie. I enjoy your site as well. I love the sparrows article!

Carol said...

What strikes me about God's words to Abraham is that He tells Abraham to walk before Him and be perfect. I think the "walk before Me" - with a conscious awareness of God's presence - is the key.

Enoch is named in the Hebrews "Hall of Faith" even though, aside from genealogy, the only mention of him in Genesis is that he "walked with God."

A perfect heart...it's a tall order.

Barbara said...

He was under the Abrahamic covenant back then, and we are under a new covenant. God helped Abraham walk perfect before Him. And, today, we have the Holy Spirit within us to help lead, guide, and direct our lives.

I was reading the commentary on Enoch 'walking with God', and it says that, when others would live for themselves, Enoch lived for God, reaching out after Him. It was his constant care and work - the joy of his life.

Oh, to be like Enoch. My pastor's wife said tonight that she wanted to see Enoch when she got to heaven and talk with him.

Anonymous said...

I love David Wilkerson! His books, sermons and newsletters are incredible. What a passion for God!
I also love Keith Greens's music, his music parallels Wilkerson's stuff. In fact, DW wrote some articles for Keith's Newsletter.

I am a musician and I would be honored if you would check out my music. All music on my site is free for downlad. Anyway, just thought that I'd share.

Thanks,
-Sean
________________
www.SeanDietrich.com
"All music on my site is free for download."

Barbara said...

Sean, I did go to your site. Listened to several of the songs. I really like "Lord Send Me" and "I Wannabe a Christian" - but they are all good. In case anyone wants to check out his music - go here - it's clickable.

http://www.seandietrich.com/index2.html