Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Does The Bible Command Us To Be A Member Of A Church?

A Missionary pastor to Mexico, Mitchell Muller, answers the question. He gives six reasons why we should be a part of a local church.

  1. Being a member of a local church identifies me as genuine believer.
  2. Being a member of a local church helps me to focus on others.
  3. Being a member of a local church helps me to develop spiritual muscles.
  4. Be a member of a local church because it needs me.
  5. Being a member of a local church helps me to fulfill the mission of the church.
  6. Being a member of a local church may help keep me from backsliding.
Pastor Muller gives scriptures for each of the reasons he gives. I believe being a member of a local body gives me a body of believers to whom I am accountable. When someone is 'watching' your life on a day-to-day basis, you are more likely to watch your life more closely. You become established in that church body and it gives you the ability to take part in what goes on within that body. You hear sound preaching and learn the Word much more easily than when trying on your own.

Perhaps the Bible doesn't command us to be a member of a Church, but it does give the following Word:


Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Linked to Conservative Cat - Floating Ping Festival
Thanks to Diane's Stuff for Wednesday Weekly Open Trackback alliance Fest II
Linked to Stuck on Stupid - Wednesday Open Trackback Party

Tags| , ,