Friday, November 25, 2005

I Wouldn't Change

I came across Dr.Bob's post, The Choice of Fools, and all the comments left there. He spoke lots about how age changes your life. I completely agree with him, that your perspective changes. What once seemed so important is no longer as important. You look back on your life lived,and realize that impressions made then seem far less impressionable than they did then. Life has changed, and changed for the better. Squabbles you may have had then seem like silly incidents that wouldn't have happened, had it been a 'now' scene. Life is too short to take on the heated discussions anymore, or try to be someone you aren't.

I commented to someone the other day how, as we grow older, time seems to get shorter. Yet, when you talk to young people, especially teenagers who are ready for 'life to begin', through their eyes, time is forever. But, as we age, we realize that isn't so. Today is gone and tomorrow seems to be here all too fast. What we do today makes our tomorrows either better or worse. We don't have time any longer to make the mistakes we made in our youth - no time to repair damages to relationships, since those people are also aging just as we are. When we put off 'what we can do today' until tomorrow - mending fences, building bridges, giving hugs and 'I love you's' to all, tomorrow may not come for us or for those with which we want to contact.

Within the post, Dr. Bob talks about an earlier post concerning prayer, where he got a comment from one who was a 'self-declared skeptic whose disdain for Christians and their faith is robust' . He was shown his 'flaws in logic' ..... don't we all have flaws? Aren't we all putting ourselves to the test, when we open our mouths and speak (touch the keyboard and begin to respond)? What is within our heart doesn't always come out of our mouths exactly how we are thinking, nor does it come out in print as we envisioned it would appear to others. Therefore, we do set ourselves up for comments that we might not have been ready for, when we made our statements.

But, with all that said, I wouldn't change. God gave me the ability to live life the way I wanted. He gave His Son to die on the cross for me, that I might see my sinful ways, and accept His free gift of Grace for salvation by faith. In all that I do, I want to please Him. To please man, would be nice, but we won't always please man, no matter how we try. We can be as honest as the days are long; yet, when trying to please man, it doesn't matter. Man will always find something to disagree or argue about, if we let him. So, I continue to live my life, as there was no tomorrow, yet planning like there is a 'lifetime' ahead. And, there is, if you believe in the hereafter. It's either heaven or hell - no matter what some may say. There are no other alternatives. Philippians 1:21 says, For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But, for the unsaved, it is a different story.

Tags| , ,