Saturday, November 05, 2005

How Times Have Changed!

I was listening to a local talk show yesterday and the subject was 'what rights do parents have in raising their children? This was in light of the decision the 9th Circuit Court made in San Francisco.

God gave us the ability to have these children. We are expected to raise and nurture them until adult hood. One of the questions posed on the radio program was this: "If our child does something that is wrong, then we are now held responsible. But, why is it, we have no rights when it comes to informing our children about sex as they grow, but the school system has been given that right?

"Schools cannot be expected to accommodate the personal, moral or religious concerns of every parent," Judge Stephen Reinhardt wrote for the panel. "Such an obligation would not only contravene the educational mission of the public schools, but also would be impossible to satisfy."
Our schools have become a place where children learn more than they should about things they shouldn't be teaching in school. I have yet to figure out why a child has to be taught SEX in school, let alone in elementary grades. I would think, unless a child had been sexually abused, or witnessed lots of sex around them, or sex was talked about, he/she wouldn't have any thoughts on sex, period! I didn't even know what the word was when I was that young. And, I guess my first 'experience' with sex, is when I found out it meant the difference in a male and female - nothing to do with 'having sex'!

The survey given to 7 year olds were asked to 'rate the following activities':


8. Touching my private parts too much
17. Thinking about having sex
22. Thinking about touching other people’s private parts
23. Thinking about sex when I don’t want to
26. Washing myself because I feel dirty on the inside
34. Not trusting people because they might want sex
40. Getting scared or upset when I think about sex
44. Having sex feelings in my body
47. Can’t stop thinking about sex
54. Getting upset when people talk about sex


What child at the age of 7 would be thinking about sex to consider any of these things, unless previously abused? The parents of these youngsters were very upset when they learned the nature of the survey . They went to the school and complained. They got no where, so they sued. But, the 9th Circuit of Appeals ruled against the parents. While it's indoctrinating the students unfairly, if they pray in school, or say the Pledge of Allegiance, the school has the right to teach the children about sex. How times have changed!

Tuesday Open Post at Choose Life